Friday, November 30, 2007

Cauliflower All Done Up Indian Style

Sometimes you see something out there in blogland and you immediately know that you want to make it. This is one of those. Another one is Bazu & Daiku's pecan pie, which I'm going to make this weekend with a bit of a twist.

cauliflowerCurry_001

Mahanandi's Gobi Kasuri Methi with Golden Raisins just sounded soooo good. I just happened to have a head of cauliflower in my fridge that I was planning on cooking later in the day. I was overjoyed to see a yummy new recipe for my "white broccoli" (as Roman calls it). I had to leave out the raisins, unfortunately, because I can't have any dried fruits on my cleanse. (too much sugar). I looked in a few markets and couldn't find any of the kasuri methi (sundried fenugreek leaves), but I'm not going to give up. This still came nicely, but I bet the extra flavors would have made it even better.

I wasn't quite sure of the ingredient measurements, so I guessed. The next day there was a new blog post using the same recipe, but adding potatoes (aloo). Yum! I'm going to try it that way once I can get my hands on the kasuri methi. I also used canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I just have issue with buying those nasty cardboard-like tomatoes in the winter time. It seems so unnatural.

I ended up adding some fenugreek seeds instead of the fenugreek leaves, but that wasn't really the best idea. I brought this for lunch yesterday and today and today it was slightly bitter because of the seeds. So don't do that if you're tempted.

I don't really know what to call this, since I didn't add two of the ingredients in the name and I can't very well just call this "cauliflower" now can I?

cauliflowerCurry_002

Indian Cauliflower Yumminess

2 Tablespoons peanut oil
4 cloves slivered garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 red onion, chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chile powder

In a large pot over medium heat, warm the peanut oil. Once it's hot, add the garlic, cumin and mustard seeds. Cook for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the onion, tomatoes and cauliflower and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the coconut, turmeric, salt and chile powder and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

Serve over basmati rice. This makes 4-5 servings.

11 comments:

  1. I have been lovin' cauliflower, so this looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Seems delicious. I promoted your recipe in VegBang:

    http://www.vegbang.com/Recipes/Cauliflower_All_Done_Up_Indian_Style/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!

    You can find kasuri methi (sundried fenugreek leaves), in Indian grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really really nice work you have here!!!!

    i had a post once about the same topic! see it here!

    www.patrickmontes.net/blog

    lets trade links if you want to.. just let me know!
    i'll give you a stumble upon thumbs up for now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely divine ("I would eat the hell out of that"), the only thing that's missing is the potatoes. My ultimate favorite Indian dish is Gobi Aloo (Cauliflower Potatoes); it makes my heart sing! With basmati rice of course.

    Also, turmeric is supposed to be very good for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric#Medicine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally would have added potatoes. That's one of my favorite Indian dishes also. I just wasn't allowed to have potatoes unless they were baked while I was on my cleanse, also why I left out the golden raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sara Jane: Your version of gobi methi looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! This looks fantastic! I love cauliflower & Indian food, so I'll have to try this asap.

    Thanks for the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is getting watery just looking at all those bake goods and vegetable, I am a vegetable lover you know. I am taking notes of these recipies. Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I made this last night and it was really great! I added a potato and used a little bit of coconut milk as I didn't have any grated coconut. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bookmarked this a while ago and just made it. It is really good! One day I added some curry-spiced almonds I had, and another day I added some cinnamon and cayenne, and another day I added some grilled tempeh. It was good in every variation.

    ReplyDelete