Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Let's Talk About Broth, Baby

Yeah, it's not that exciting. But maybe it is to you! I got this idea from someone else's blog on the Vegan MoFo blogroll. I forget who. Whoever you are, thanks for having the idea!

vegetableBroth_001

I made some veggie broth last Saturday. Yummy, homemade veggie broth. The coolest part was that I was cooking some other things and just kept adding the veggie scraps to the pot. That was kinda fun and it made me feel like I was being all green and awesome for using my veggie scraps.

In the pot went carrots, celery, parsnips, dill, thyme, sage, parsley, shallots, an onion, garlic, leeks and fennel. Yep. That's right. I made fennel. :D More on that later in the week, though. :D

vegetableBroth_002

The coolest part... I always save old containers, wash them out and reuse them so I had a ton of soy yogurt containers. I filled each soy yogurt container with 1/2 cup of broth. Then I filled muffin pans with 1/4 cup each and put the whole shebang in the freezer. After the muffin pan broth was frozen, I put the frozen broth pieces into a larger container in the freezer. Now I have some perfect recipe sized broth for when I need just a little bit!

4 comments:

  1. Your veggie broth looks delicious! I've been meaning to cook my own, but we only have a tiny freezer compartment in our fridge, and it's a lot of work for a few days' worth of broth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy tofurkey day! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scrolling down and saw the pot with all the veggies and my jaw dropped! The broth looks sooooooo amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a smart idea! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete