Friday, November 16, 2007

Flowering Tea

Because today is my birthday, I'm gonna talk about tea. Well, really, I'm gonna talk about tea another time, but I'll leave you with a picture of one of my new obsessions - flowering tea.

floweringTea_001

I forget exactly what kind this is, but it was in a variety pack of Numi tea. The flowering stuff is not only super yummy, but it's also really fun to watch. The tea leaves are sewn together, so you don't always know what it will look like until it blossoms. Put the little tea package into a clear glass teapot and then pour almost boiling water over it. Put the lid on so that it steeps and wait. It'll start blooming almost immediately.

Yes, the tea is a bit on the expensive side, but you can use each blossom 3 times, so really it works out to be not so bad when you think about it like that. Just make sure not to steep the tea longer than 3-4 minutes each time and you can definitely get 3 uses out of it.

Also, my cats like to watch the tea blossom also. They're fascinated by it. And that amuses me.

11 comments:

  1. That is lovely. I'd always wondered about the flowering teas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE flowering teas! Jasmine is my favorite, but I really have neer had a bad cup of any other kind. I'm adding a glass teapot to my Christmas list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish You a Very Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found some gorgeous flowering teas at All About Tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Your flowering tea has inspired me to dig around in the cabinet for mine. I think I have a few left. It sorta freaks me out that someone sewed my tea together...crazy. What do you do for a living? Oh! I sew tea together into blossoms that will open in hot water.

    ya know?
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, punk. The first and one of the only times I've had flowering tea was in Redmond's Vegetarian Teapot restaurant. It's a great place to eat and yes, they do have some vegan options. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found some wonderful flowering teas at tealaden.com. I bought a few of them and the teas was great as well as the beautiful flowers. They have added a few new ones since I bought mine so I will have to order some more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love flowering tea!
    What a wonderful way to make a birthday a little special.
    In Montreal I use to buy some kind called Amarantine, looked like little balls with a red flower on top. Delicious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a ton of these when I was in China this past May, and still have some unopened sets. You say the word and I'll mail some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend got me addicted to blooming tea a little while ago. I always serve some when I have my friends over - great conversation starters :)) I always get mine from Ego tea, as I have always have had great experience with them.

    ReplyDelete