Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Survey (Since you guys are all eating instead of reading anyway)

Because it's Thanksgiving in the US and all you guys have your fat pants on so you can keep shoveling in that vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake, I'm going to do that Vegan MoFo survey that's been going around. That and I've just started a cleanse a few days ago and I have a killer headache. Bleh.

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Silk soy milk. I usually get the kind with extra Omega oils if I can find it.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Ethiopian food from Papa Tofu, Pumpkin Saag from Veganomicon and Urban Vegan's Orange-Scented Cranberry Almond Biscotti.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Sometimes I make a brown sugar glaze for it, but usually I just eat it plain. I'm gonna try making it with nooch, though, I keep hearing how great that is, but it never occurred to me.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I've had a lot. Recently I got the great idea to add some leftover stuffing from making stuffed mushrooms to angel hair pasta. It tasted like cardboard pasta. Nasty. Never do that.

5. Favorite pickled item? Crisp kosher dills! Though I do have a weakness for pickled beets.

6. How do you organize your recipes? I bookmark things on the internet into a "Recipes" folder. I also have a little notebook where I write down in SJ recipe speak recipes.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I would love to start composting, but living in an apartment in the city, it's not really feasible. Plus, I haven't a clue what I'd do with it since I don't have any plants. I do put as much down the disposal or into veggie broth as I can.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Mangos, hashbrowns (with Cholula!), lima beans

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? My Grandma on my mother's side used to make the best food. I remember it fondly, especially her holiday cookies.

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Double Rainbow Cherry Chocolate Chunk. Though I haven't been able to find it since I lived in Dallas. :(

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My KitchenAid stand mixer. I love, love, love that thing. Since it's in storage right now, my current favorite is my new immersion blender. I use the hell out of that thing. Best $40 I ever spent.

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
cumin and basil

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
heh. I have that old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with the red and white checked binder. I think I got that when I was a teenager. I still refer to it for some things, too.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Plum jam is my current favorite. Yum! I used to die for my Grandmother's pear preserves, though. I miss that.

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? cupcakes are probably the thing I make most for omnis. But for real food, I like to make vegan chicken and dumplings. It always throws people off to have something that's such a typical southern comfort food and have it be delicious and vegan. Plus, I love it and any excuse to make it is a good one.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
tempeh is my favorite, but I probably use tofu and seitan the most.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Breakfast! For me, whatever time I eat first is still breakfast, even if it's noon.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
My cat Paige, a trivet, 2 pot holders and a coffee pot that I don't use but came with my apartment.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
veggie broth, cherries, pierogies

20. What's on your grocery list?
Tea, raspberries, apples

21. Favorite grocery store?
Drive Organics

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Hmmm... that's a tough one. One of my hobbies is veganizing omni recipes, especailly typical southern stuff. I guess one thing I'd like to tackle is southern barbeque.

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
I check all of the blog links on your right every day.

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Green & Blacks Chocolate. I don't really eat much candy or chocolate, I'm more of a salty/savory kinda gal.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Organic Persimmons

26. Veganaise or Nayonaise?
Veganaise. Though I don't really like mayonaise sort of things. I will use it only in certain things.

27. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without?
I had never used seitan until I bought Vegan with a Vengeance. Now I make it all the time.

28. Name a fruit or vegetable that you have yet to try, but want to. Cactus pears

29. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it!)


2 comments:

  1. I hope your headache is better! I want to hear more about your cleanse. oooooh, and I so need an immersion blender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic Holiday Cookies made from scratch are available for Christmas time, visit www.wildfloursbakery.com. I think they only ship baked goods in the usa though...

    Additionally their slogan is, "Ending world hunger, One Bite at a Time", and are donating 10% of sales to Gleaners Community Food Bank and Other Charities...

    The Cookies are just delightful, it is rare to find made from scatch, delicious Christmas Cookies and Wildflours has them. Check it out, also they care Gluten reduced and other organic products, cool place...

    ReplyDelete