Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thyme Roasted Autumn Veggies

I blame Isa for the way this dish tasted. Because of her and Terry, I always have thyme in my fridge. Not only that, but I have both rubbed and whole leaf thyme in the cabinet. Yeah... I'm like a thyme junkie now. Dang it, I've caught the fever.

roastedRootVegetables_001

So I've been trying to make a concerted effort to eat with the seasons as much as possible. I'm trying harder to buy locally, though sometimes it's an inner conflict between local and organic. Most of these veggies are locally grown, thanks to the awesome markets near my apartment. I was kinda jealous of everyone having their awesome Thanksgiving feasts so I made this and some wild rice soup to make myself feel better. This is my first year in Canada, so I'm still adjusting to Thanksgiving being in October.

If you make something like this, you really don't need to follow a recipe. Just get some root vegetables, chop them up and put them in a pan with some oil and some kind of spice or herb. Just walk around the market and throw root vegetables willy-nilly into your basket and pick whatever herb smells freshest. (Ha, I just said willy-nilly!)

Thyme Roasted Autumn Root Vegetables

3 small turnips
2 parsnips
1 beet
15-20 brussel sprouts
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 small onion, coursely chopped
2 fresh thyme, chopped (I think i probably used a bit more, I just used up what I had left)
4 Tablespoons olive oil

Preheat your oven to 375F.

Peel and chop the turnips, parsnips and beet. You'll want to make these smallish, but not tiny so that they cook fully. Clean the brussel sprouts and cut them in half length-wise. Put all of the veggies into an oven-safe dish and toss with olive oil, garlic, the onion and thyme. Stir gently so that the beets don't turn everything pink. I just used my hands to mix everything up.

Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

roastedRootVegetables_002

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm.... I was in the middle of leaving a comment and my browser shut down on me... what??

    Anyway, I was just saying how gorgeous this looks- the pink color the beets give off is stunning.

    I posted an answer to your question on my blog, but thought I'd post it here too, so you'd be sure to see:

    Hi Sarajane!
    Congrats on the detox- and the pie, detox-friendly as it is, is the perfect reward!

    You lucked out- since this pie doesn't require any baking (except for the crust), you don't have to worry about bake times. You can just bake little mini-crusts in cups, and then pour the filling in, and allow it to set. You should be good to go- one warning, though, this pie doesn't set up super firm! But that's perfect any way, since it's in cup form...

    P.S. you can always email me through the PPK!

    ReplyDelete