Sunday, November 11, 2007

Vegan Love Muffins

Yeah, that's right. Love muffins. And you really should say it like a 7 year-old taunting someone if you're feeing jaded. Loooooooove muffins. Then roll your eyes and eat one. You won't care about that stupid love crap anymore after you've got one of these in your mouth.

LoveMuffins_004

These would be fantastic as a good morning breakfast for someone on Valentine's Day or your anniversary or a birthday or just on a day when you want to be awesome. Or hell, just eat them all yourself and then tell people about them later. Either way, you'll have a smile on your face.

So, I woke up yesterday morning and my first thought was of muffins. Specifically or corn muffins. I must have been having dreams about food or something because normally it takes me at least a few minutes to think about food when I first wake up. After feeding my kitties, I was still feeling all inspired and motivated so I decided to see what kind of muffin my sleep-addled brain could think up. I had a cute little organic pomegranate that I had been meaning to use, so I though, hell, add this. And hey - wouldn't rosewater smell soooooo nice?!

The only thing I wish I had done was add some of the pomegranate concentrate that I have in the fridge. So, if you have some of that or even just some pomegranate juice, substitute that for some of the liquid in the recipe and you'll get a ruby colored love muffin.

LoveMuffins_001


Also, this was kind of exciting because it's the first time I've ever used silicone baking stuff. I've been pretty skeptical of those things, but when I saw mini muffin cups in different colors, I really wanted to try them. Plus, that meant I didn't have to wash a muffin pan, and I am so down with that.

LoveMuffins_003

Love Muffins

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon rosewater, optional
1 Tablespoon fresh orange zest or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
3 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

Preheat your oven to 375 for mini muffins or 400 for regular sized muffins.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, soymilk, rosewater, orange peel and vanilla. In a little cup, using a fork, mix the ground flax seeds with the 3 tablespoons of water and then add to the bowl with the wet stuff in it. Whisk all of that together until combined.

LoveMuffins_002

Add the wet ingredients to the dry in 2 batches, stirring gently after each addition. Be careful not to over stir. And definitely don't use an electric mixer. You want everything to be just combined. Now gently fold in the pomegranate seeds until they're evenly mixed in.

Fill muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes. Leave them in the pan for about 5 minutes after they come out of the oven, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Slather with some Earth Balance and enjoy!

LoveMuffins_005

5 comments:

  1. mmmmh, must try them! the Turkish grocery's shelves are stuffed with pomegranates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm... looooooove muffins... (why do all my comments make me sound like homer simpson this morning?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pomegranates! But, do you still have to spit out the seeds while you're eating the corn muffins? Or does the baking make them chewable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't find the seeds to be a problem at all! They were fine to eat right out of the fruit without spitting anything out. I guess maybe you'd want to try eating them raw first and see if you think you need to spit the hard parts out or not. They did get a bit chewier and softer after baking, though.

    ReplyDelete