Sunday, December 2, 2007

Pumpkin Biscuits for Your Belly

I'm such a copycat lately. I keep seeing these awesome things on other people's blogs and then making them. Well, what's a girl to do? You can't taste things through the internets! I saw these pumpkin biscuits on Lindy Loo's blog. I didn't have anyone to make Canada shaped margarine for me, but my Earth Balance was shaped in spirit.

pumpkinBiscuits_001

These biscuits are so awesome. They're also super easy and fast to make, which only adds to their awesomeness. I ate these with my dinner last night and I also had some for breakfast this morning. They're rather all-purpose, so make them whatever time of day you feel like you want to spice up your meal. I think they'd be perfect with some maple butter (sorta like a spreadable solidy maple syrup) but the market was out when I went to get some this morning, so I'll have to imagine how good that would be for right now.

I used to make biscuits at least once a week, sometimes more, so I "fixed" the original recipe a bit. I think the person that wrote it had a great idea and a great combination of ingredients, but maybe not so much experience with actually making biscuit dough. If you just want to be able to scoop the batter and plop it onto the baking sheet, then follow the original recipe from Green Living. If you want to roll them out like I did, then follow this one.


Pumpkin Biscuits

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup soy milk
3 1/2 Tablespoons margarine, cut into cubes
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 450F. Either oil a baking sheet or cover it with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and allspice in a large bowl. Add the margarine pieces and cut into the flour mixture with either a pastry blender or a fork. You want to make sure that all of the margarine has been mixed in, the mixture should have large pea-sized lumps.

In a separate smaller bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, butter, and maple syrup. Whisk together just until smooth. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour/margarine bowl. Stir together until it's just combined. Be very careful not to over mix so that your biscuits aren't tough. You'll probably need to use your hands after you've mixed it about halfway.



pumpkinBiscuits_003

Lightly sprinkle some flour onto the counter and roll the dough out to about 1/2-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or the edge of a glass to cut the biscuits. Or if you don't feel like doing that, you can take little balls of dough and flatten them into discs with your palms.

Put the biscuits onto your baking sheet and cook for 12-14 minutes or until they just start to turn golden brown.

pumpkinBiscuits_002


This made about 12 biscuits for me, it'll depend on how wide your make them how many you'll get. Eat them warm and rejoice in the pumpkiny goodness that has entered your belly.

8 comments:

  1. I'll try this with the frozen pumkin purée in the freezer. with soup... mmhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good. I have a butternut squash roasting in the oven as I type, and some of it just might have to become biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pumpkin biscuits look so good! Thanks for the recipe, I don't make enough biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum! I want those biscuits in my belly! (and they're super cute all cut out like that) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! What a perfect winter dish. There's definitely something warm & snuggly about pumpkin, isn't there?

    Anyway, I've been on a crazy baking kick lately - this gives me one more thing to add to my list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need these in my life. Right now. I don't care that it's past midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. biscuits: good. pumpkin: good. pumpkin biscuits: heaven!

    when is fall again?

    ReplyDelete