Monday, October 31, 2011

Walnut Spice Sticky Cake

It's the season for recipe testing! I'm also testing for Terry Hope Romero's upcoming international vegan cookbook. It's a delicious job, let me tell you. Doing all of this testing for Terry and Sara Beth have really put me on a mission. It's so much fun trying new things. I've been inspired by different techniques and flavor combinations and will definitely carry some of that over into my own recipes.

I totally took a bite out of this before I took the picture. I couldn't resist.

Today I made Terry's Walnut Spice Sticky Cake. I don't normally make cakes because it's just the two of us here and it's sometimes hard to eat a whole one. The sacrifices you make sometimes! This cake is not one that's likely to sit around going bad, that's for sure. I literally just finished eating a piece of this and I'm holding myself back from having a second piece. I will definitely have another one after dinner tonight.


Fresh from the oven!

This walnut cake is made with spelt flour, which I love and has just the right amount of spice to give it flavor without being hot or too overpowering. There's a bit of orange zest in it and an orange syrup poured on top after it comes out of the oven. I much prefer cakes like this to the kind with frosting. I'm not a frosting hater, but normally I scrape most of it off because it's too much sugar for me. I feel like I could eat a piece of this for breakfast and not start the day off on a sugar high.


Okay, maybe I will have another piece. Just a small one.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I hope that recipe makes it into the new book because I really want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm - my stepmother used to make "Oatmeal Cake" and it looked like that. Very dense and moist, moist, moist. It had a butter, sugar melt topping w/nuts (usually black walnuts that grew around). Thanks for taking me back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need that recipe when it comes out! That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete