Saturday, October 22, 2011

Things that are Awesome: Holy Crap Cereal

I remember about a year ago James telling me that he heard something about the woman who started Holy Crap cereal on the CBC (that's like NPR in the US). Apparently it was so popular that it was backordered for months. I think the popularity took her by surprise. There was some other stuff, but I forget exactly now and I don't want to spread lies, so just check out the google if you're curious. Anyway, I remembered that discussion when we saw it at the market the other day. Intrigued, we decided to buy some.

Immediately I was struck by just how friendly this cereal is to a variety of diets. It's vegan, gluten-free and nut-free. How cool! Plus, the package says it's "the world's most amazing breakfast cereal". If the packaging says so, it must be true.

So what you do is add 2 tablespoons of cereal to 4 tablespoons of liquid. I've been using almond milk, but it even says you can use yogurt or something if you want. After you mix it, you let it sit for about 5 minutes. There are tons of chia seeds in this so they absorb a ton of liquid as it sits and turns into an almost pudding-like consistency. That may seem a little odd, but I actually kind of like it. It's different than normal cereal, that's for sure.



Now you're probably looking at these pictures and thinking it looks kind of grey and bland. But no! It's actually really tasty. There's some dried fruit in it which adds a bunch of flavor. This is my first time eating hemp hearts and I think I like them. They have a nice nutty flavor with just a tiny hint of chocolate to them. Oh, and speaking of pictures, I'm sorry that these are so blurry. It was really early in the morning before work when I took these and I clearly don't know how to focus before I've eaten my breakfast.



I kind of love that it's called Holy Crap. Just the name makes me giggle. I like to say it like an exclamation even if it's in the middle of a sentence. To me there's always an exclamation point on the end. I usually like to add some fruit to my bowl of Holy Crap! as well. We've been putting blueberries and strawberries in with it this week.



3 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued. Looks kind of odd, but sounds delicious! I wonder if it's available here. off to go check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing is the word for it. I love the name, but agree it doesn't look good, but I believe you that it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Holy Crap cereal! We saw it on Dragon's Den as well (that's when everything backed up on orders).. and it took a bit to finally get some. It is so good! Even my husband, a bona fide "junk" eater likes it.

    ReplyDelete