Sunday, November 14, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy for Brunch

Sunday is usually a day that we get a bit of a late start.  It's nice to get to catch up on the week's lost sleep and start the morning slowly.  We also tend to make an effort to have a nice brunch on Sundays.  Today we had some more awesomeness from Vegan Brunch.  That cookbook is slowly going the way of Vegan with a Vengeance.  I've made almost every single recipe in VwaV.  My copy is battered, and well-loved for sure.  It was actually the first cookbook I've ever owned that I've made that many recipes from.

IMG_3653

One of the most fun things about Vegan Brunch is the varied options for awesome breakfast/brunch/lunch that I might not have thought of previously.  I used to make a standard breakfast of either muffins or tofu scramble and roasted potatoes for weekend mornings.  Not that those things aren't awesome, but sometimes you want to get out of the rut a bit, even if that rut is a delicious one.  I'm going to try and make something from that cookbook at least once a week for the next little while.  It's definitely becoming one of my favorites.

IMG_3656

In the header for the Herbed Drop Biscuits recipe, Isa says that she can't be bothered to roll and cut out biscuits anymore.  I hear ya, girl.  I feel exactly the same way.  Even when I have a roll-out biscuit recipe, I tend to just shape them with my hand instead of going through the whole rigamarole of flouring the counter, rolling and cutting them and creating way more cleanup than is really necessary.

I used half spelt flour and half unbleached wheat flour in these.  I also had some fresh herbs on hand so I used those instead of using dried.   They're really easy to make and turn out so wonderful.  Nice and soft on the inside with a nice crust.  These biscuits are great for eating with just a bit of Earth Balance or smothering in gravy.

I've also made the Mini Chive Spelt Biscuits from Vegan Brunch and they're also really tasty and great with this gravy.  It's cute to have little biscuits, too.

IMG_3658

Speaking of gravy, you really should try this Navy Bean Gravy.  It's super easy to make.  I use an immersion blender to blend mine, but if you don't have one, you can just use a regular blender or a food processor when it comes to that step.  The flavor is nice, and not too overpowering.  I tend to like to saute a few shitake mushrooms and add them to the gravy.  Sometimes I'll add a few at the beginning and blend them in with the rest and chop the rest and add them on top.

To serve, you can just put some biscuits on a plate and put gravy over them.  I like to put the gravy in a bowl and tear my biscuits into pieces and put them in with the gravy and eat the whole thing with a spoon. Whatever works.

A nice accompaniment is a faux mimosa.  Just add a mixture of half orange juice and half carbonated water (I use San Pellegrino) in a glass.  Very refreshing and sorta fancy looking, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment