Monday, September 3, 2007

Hot Monkey Pile

So one day I was talking to a friend about food. I realized that most of my recipes don't really have a name and I was trying to be creative. She came up with the name Hot Monkey Pile and then I just had to create a recipe to go with that fantastic name. Nothing like reverse engineering, eh?

My pictures came out kinda crappy so I'll have to try to take better ones when I make this again. Without further ado, let me introduce you to the greatness that is...

hotMonkeyPile_003

Hot Monkey Pile

4 bananas, sliced
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
5.6 oz can coconut milk
1 teaspoon arrowroot or cornstarch
1/8 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

The trick to the bananas cooking without mushing is to refrigerate them. I put mine in the fridge this morning so they were nice and chilled when I went to cut them. Heat the peanut oil on medium heat in a saute pan. Add half of the banana slices. Stir them around so the oil gets friendly with all of the bananas. Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice and stir some more. Let these bananas cook for about 2 minutes and then add the rest of them. You want to let the first half get a little mushy to give you a little bit of a differing texture to the dessert. Stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes or until the bananas start to get bubbly.

hotMonkeyPile_002

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk and arrowroot (or cornstarch). Whisk everything together until combined. Keep whisking over medium heat. Add the sugar and keep whisking until the mixture starts to get thick. Once it starts to boil, cook for another 30 seconds and then remove from heat.

Spoon the bananas into a bowl and then spoon some of the coconut mixture on top. Throw on some of the peanuts and you've just created a hot monkey pile. :D

You can get 2-3 servings out of this.

hotMonkeyPile_001

2 comments: