Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mexican Breakfast

So you know how sometimes you have those evenings when you just don't want to eat dinner? Well, not that you don't want to eat, but what you really want is breakfast. Maybe it's because you're wishing that your weekend hadn't gone by so quickly and you're hoping to open a rip in the space/time continuum and make it Saturday morning again. Though, I must say this hasn't worked for me so far and I've really, really tried. I even squninted my eyes a whole punch and clicked my Chucks together three times, but alas, it was still Sunday evening.

You can tell how tiring my weekend was because it took me until Tuesday to post Sunday night's dinner. What a slacker. *beats self with wet noodle*

I absolutely love Mexican breakfasts. Until recently, I had never really had that until I went to this freaking fantastic veg*n place the last time I visited San Diego called Ranchos. Holy crap on a stick, Batman! That place rocked my socks clean off. After gorging on their awesomeness 3 out of the 4 days I was there, I was inspired to try making some Mexicanish breakfasts of my own. Also, I had been dying to make some of the other breakfast recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance.

Seriously, if you haven't bought that cookbook yet, you're totally missing out. Even if you're not vegan, it's the absolute best cookbook that I have ever owned. Get your fanny over to the bookstore and pick it up. No, really - go now. Yes, now.

mexicanBreakfast_001

Dinner yummies were Tofu Scramble and Vegan Chorizo from Vegan with a Vengeance, refried beans (with chiles!), rice, corn tortillas, salsa and avocado. Soooo awesome.

I had been super excited about making the vegan chorizo and it was good, but not what I had really expected. I think I'll change the recipe up a bit the next time I make it. It ended up being a little bit too juicy for me. So next time, I think less water, eliminate the 1 tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon stick and add some cayenne and a little more salt. I was hoping for something a bit more savory, I think. With some tweaking I think I can get this to be about what my tastebuds were wishing for.

3 comments:

  1. I love Mexican food...why don't I ever haev it for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! I think it's one of my favorite kinds of foods and I never think to have it for breakfast, either. It's so fabulous, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am Mexican, and on occasion I will have Mexican food for breakfast: Gorditas, chilaquiles, Tofu ranchero, vegan pozole ....

    ReplyDelete